Sunday, February 03, 2008

Cancelled?

I don't believe it. The news just flew around the house. The bishopric of my father's ward has called off church today. I have lived in Utah for all of my life (aside from a two year stint in Idaho Falls, which we call North Salt Lake) and never in my 39 years have they called off church due to bad weather.
So I went outside with my cell phone to take pictures and check out how bad it really was - actually, I didn't go outside, I just opened the front door and a snow drift a foot high fell inside. I was intrigued with how the snow had accumulated on everything, sticking out as lacy protrusions on all vertical surfaces. And the details of the world was lost in a flurry of grey-white.
Much to my daughter's delight and my horror, we will be inside today watching her favorite musical, Cats. I appreciate this show for it's costumes and make-up which is believably catish. I, however, think it is the stupidest storyline of all time. I just don't get it. I looked it up on wikipedia to give you that link and discovered that it is based on a collection of poems by T. S. Elliot. Hence the reason I don't get it. It's not really a story after all, but a collection of poems. And, it requires me to focus way too hard to understand what they are singing to even begin understanding what is happening. It's about cats, for godssake. However, I realize that it is a most cherished, award winning show. But, still, it's about cats. Thusly, it is ranked amongst my daughter's top favorite movies of all time. I think she was born a cat in another lifetime.

At any rate, (I had an English teacher in high school named Mrs. Hess. She wore purple all the time from head to toe. Her lipstick was even purple. Her earrings were always baubly purple balls. Her hair was a steel-wool mass of bottle-bought copper. Every single day she was dressed in every shade of purple and her favorite saying was, "At any rate," in her quaking, gravelly, smoked-for-too-long-voice. We would count her usage of the cliche. One day, in a 90-minute class, we counted 96 declarations, "At any rate...")

Sooooo... at any rate. Church has been cancelled today. Apparently a storm bigger and worse than the one hitting us right now is scheduled to pound into the valley around noon. For the safety of the members, they are being advised to stay home.

As for our worshipping today, Baby and I are watching Cats and dad and his wife are balancing their checkbook. Hmmmm...

3 comments:

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Isn't it amazing when something like this happens? I remember the first time I: saw a woman wear pants to church, saw caffeinated beverages being served at a church activity, and having church canceled because of snow.

Each of them created a shift in my thinking that was refreshing. Church could be canceled and I wouldn't go to hell and the business of the ward wouldn't stop dead in its tracks! Amazing!

Sounds like you guys have had some pretty intense weather this winter. I wish we'd get a little of that snow out here...

Angie K. Millgate said...

J~

Caffeinated beverages at church functions??? Oh! For shame! Never in my life have I witnessed such a thing!!! I couldn't even imagine witnessing such a thing. Then again, I never thought I would see the day they cancelled church either. I guess there is a first for anything.

Funniest thing about this whole "church is cancelled" bit is that the "huge storm set to hit at noon" ended up being three snowflakes and one blustering burst of wind. That was it.

I wondered all day long if they were going to call them all back in for a make-up day.

LOL

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Yep. True story. It happened in Berkeley, California, at the Institute no less! Horrors, huh?! I thought for sure we were all going to go to hell. But then, what do you expect in a place like Berkeley? :-)

Actually, I loved the Institute Director there. He was a guy named Brent Collette. The guy wore a jogging suit to work every day because he hated suits. He gave students keys and the security code to the building so they'd have a place to go in the evenings that was safe. And he didn't bat an eye when bottles of Coca-Cola would flow just as freely as Sprite. He was a lovely, lovely man. If there were more members of the church like him--and men, especially--I might consider some level of activity.

Alas, he died in 2000. I've never wept so soundly as I did when he died. He was one of the finest human beings I knew.

Genius Community Nest