Monday, January 07, 2008

Photo Opp

I usually carry my camera with me in the car, that way I have it whenever a photo opp happens. For some reason, over the holidays, I took it out of my car. I don't know what I was thinking. I imagine it was so I could download and clear off the compact flash. At any rate, I have had two photo opps in the last 18 hours that I have had to capture on my cell phone. Quality sucks, but at least I caught them... I posted the shots from yesterday in the blog called Trapped.


Today, as I ran errands for my boss-man, I got to drive up into the Avenues behind the Capital. I LOVE it up there. Beautiful, old original mansions and views that totally kick ass.


And, as I drove through this elite neighborhood on the way to our multi-million dollar residence that is just wrapping up, I passed a home whose front yard sprinklers were on. Now, if you read my post, Trapped, then you know we had a pretty big snow storm yesterday. Aside from that, it being winter and all, there really is no need for sprinklers. I am guessing it is a mistake. At any rate, it provided the most intriguing sight for the eyes, though. Their entire front yard was a glistening land of icy globules. The snow had clumped in round goblin-like formations and then the ice had grown on top of it. I couldn't resist stopping. (And I am totally kicking myself for not having the real camera with me. What photographer doesn't carry their camera with them at all times???!) Then, I stopped along State Street, in the old part of downtown, because Zim's is there. Their window display caught my eye because it was full of The Elves Themselves, which is a rage that my father's sisters are addicted to. Apparently, the makers of the Elves have closed their doors. Therefore, no more elves. Zim's is closing them out at 75% off. (I can't figure out why they want to close them out at a radically discounted rate, if they can't them get them anymore. Seems they should escalate in price???? Well, what do I know!) Their window display was captivating and I nearly caused an accident as I swerved to view them. Instead of killing myself and that pedestrian, I opted to flip a U-ie and go back to view them for myself.


I walked into the store and immediately knew why my aunties are addicted. They are magical!!! I could not resist a purchase. Since I collect Santas, I wanted a Santa one. No do. They are all gone. I opted for three Christmas elves Ricky, Isador, and Jackson. Those little guys will grace my home at Christmas. Then, I couldn't resist it. There was a little Woodland Elf that caught my heart. Leander will grace my home year round. I left with four elves for less than one. And I feel excited to get my own place so they can grace my space. I am thinking I will go back and get a few more Woodland Elves as they are great for year round.


As I pulled into the parking lot to run into Zim's, in front of me was the greatest wall I have ever seen. So full of character and crumbling history that I wished it could talk. It looked like some drunken mason had just haphazardly stacked loose bricks one on top of another, forgetting the mortar in most places. Where there was mortar, it was frozen in an oozing globe to jut out of the spaces between.

No comments:

Genius Community Nest