Monday, December 21, 2009

Tis the Season

Tis the Season


presentsAs we roll into the Christmas season that has evolved into the “The Season of Giving Lots of Sparkly-Wrapped Boxes of Store-Bought Joy,” I’ve chosen to focus on the spirit of the season. I’ve intended to hold gratitude, love and peace in my heart throughout the season and I’m feeling happy about what I’m experiencing. Now, I’d love to say that I’ve been a pro at keeping my intention as my sole focus. However, I have slipped a few times and have slumped into the dreary whining experience of I don’t have any money so how can I make this all work?!!!

While I was in massage school several years ago, one of my instructors taught us the 5-to-1 Theory. He stated that for relationships to be healthy, it is imperative that the ratio of positive-to-negative comments or actions needs to be 5-to-1, five appreciations or gratitudes for every “bad”statement. I’ve been remembering that class this year and have chosen to use that theory when I find myself drooping with bleakness.

In the spirit of that, I’d like to share some of the things I’ve realized for which I’m grateful...

I am grateful for my life, for BEING alive.
I am grateful for my daughter, for watching the miracle of her each day and being blessed with the honor of raising her to be an amazing woman.
I am grateful for her daddy, for learning through his experiences and for understanding how important my choices are and that the consequences eventually DO come.
I am grateful for my creative, artistic mind.
I am grateful for my father and his wife, for their generous sharing of their home so that my daughter and I are warm, safe and fed.
I am grateful for my family and friends, the lessons I learn and the inspiration I discover through them.
angelI am grateful for a warm bed to sleep in.
I am grateful for unemployment insurance benefits.
I am grateful for learning what I’ve learned this year, for finally realizing what I know.
I am grateful for love, in all its forms.
I am grateful for Clementines and how deliciously delightful those tiny treats are.
I am grateful for my fully-working senses, that I can see, hear, smell and taste the delights of this season.
I am grateful for the gift of laughter.

Gratitude is expansive and generative. I invite you to focus with gratitude on the simple things of your life and may you find your holiday season to be fully blessed.

© Angie K. Millgate 12/20/09

No comments:

Genius Community Nest