Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sparkling...

It snowed really hard a few days ago and, as I was driving into my office to meet a client, I noticed that the snow on the side of the road is no longer sparkling. It's more gray-brown than anything and looks really beat up. I imagined though, as I passed the piles in a blur of grayness, if I were to take the time to lift that top layer, I would find snow that was still sparkling and pristinely white.

I realized that people are like that too. That, sometimes, life just gets heavy and dark and we tend to wear it on our faces. I know that I have had that haunted, exhausted, life-just-isn't-going-too-well-right-now look on my face often - more often than I care to really look at. I know that, in those moments, I have felt every single teeny-tiny movement of my body as being excrutiatingly huge and laborious.

It is during those times that I forget what life is truly about. I forget that life can be easeful. I forget that life can be magical. I forget that life, my life, is a gift... a big, beautiful, creative gift. And I get weighed down by the outer, crusty layer that is taking on all the crap floating around me in my universe. Sometimes, I get so bogged down by it all that I forget that I can choose to shake it off, lift that crusty layer and breathe.

I am grateful to be breathing today. Great big, easeful breaths. And I am grateful that, today, I have shaken off the schmultz and I am sparkling.

4 comments:

Kris said...

WOW, Angie, what a moving post!

I've never thought of how feeling my true "sparkle" is *only* a good, deep, and knowing breath away (and maybe a little danced jig away, too ;) . . . . May we *always* remember That, and always remain in a place of power in our living lives, free to sparkle and shine like the bursts of life we are :D

You are magic!
Sending sparkling love your way,
Kristen :)

Angie K. Millgate said...

Thank you, Kristen. I love it when I write and I have NO idea what is going to come out and the result is a beautiful, powerful piece that really speaks to me. Thank you for seeing the magic.

~Karen Michelle Bayard~ said...

You definitely were sparking yesterday. This post reminds me of how Used to see people in NYC during winter. Lots of sleek black and charcoal grey outfits and overcoats. Not a lot of color in clothing or in personality.... that is...until the Holidays. The whole city lights up figuratively and literrally. I always loved that time of year, especially around Lincoln Center. Then there is also NY in autumn...Aye. yo quiero Neuva York, mamacita no comprende.

Angie K. Millgate said...

Well! Thank you, KareBear! I feel sad that I had to leave during the Gayatri Mantra (sp???). It's my favorite one. You were simply beautiful and radiant last night!

Genius Community Nest