Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ritualistic

Each morning, I would meander to work somewhere near to on time and sit at my desk, boot up my computer and immediately go to blogger to do my morning post. I viewed it as a perfect way to start my day. That was my ritual, until 12 days ago.

Now, I get to work exactly on time and stress if I don't pull it off. I pull right up to my desk and whisk around, trying to get ahead of the trainee that will be plowing through the front door within a half hour of my arrival. I tap my fingers as the computer takes her time to boot up, while I listen to voicemails and sort yesterday's mail.

As soon as she walks in, we are off and running on this task or that. We are organizing and training and laughing and sweating and shuffling and moving and moving and moving! From one side of the office to the other and back again. Things change from moment to moment and sometimes I find myself wondering why, at 3:30pm, I am starving. Oh! I never ate lunch!

In the middle of all this, the time for blogging has evaporated. The time for any of the personal stuff I did while at work has fallen to the wayside. I am actually working my ass off, although there are two of us now. How did this happen?

But, all in all, I am so damn excited! I have a teeny-tiny desk in the back office now to call all my own. That will be the new home of my own business. That will be where I redo my website to make it look more like who I am now and reflect the direction of my career. That little space will be where I write my Meditations and blogs. I feel really excited and happy about what is ahead.

It feels really good to be creating new rituals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make a note to yourself to eat lunch.

Seriously.

If you're not taking care of yourself, then who is?

I likes me some rituals.

Genius Community Nest