Sunday, December 09, 2007

Chocolate Dreams


Yesterday as I was getting ready to go to the family party, I glanced at my nightstand and noticed a chocolate bar sitting there that hadn't been there the day before. Hmmmm... strange. I stared at it, wondering where it had come from and then I remembered...

It is a lucsious "real" chocolate bar that my mother had purchased from our favorite fair trade store. She had given it to me in my Halloween gift bag. It was in the cute little gift bag that sat on the floor by my nightstand because there is nowhere else to put anything in the petite guest room in which I now reside. Everything goes on the floor or in the garbage or on stacks which get perilously high until they topple to the floor or the garbage.

That chocolate bar had sat there in the bag on the floor beside my bed, in front of the nightstand forgotten since Halloween until I had dreamt that I was searching for something the other night. In this dream, I remember frantically longing to find whatever it was I needed. Perhaps my subconscious still remembered the chocolate bar, wrapped in muted gold, elegant paper to make it look even more luscious than it already is, was in that gift bag and, thus, prompted the dream that sent me searching.

I was sleep walking as I dreamed and searched, because I remember throwing the fancy tissue paper out of the gift bag until my fingertips brushed against something solid. I pulled out the large bar and held it close to my face. Through my closed eyelids - or perhaps through my detached observer - the gold paper shimmered in the darkness and I thought, "Ah! It's gold!" I sat it upon the nightstand for safe keeping until the morning so I could get it to the bank to cash it in.

No comments:

Genius Community Nest