Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Meditation of the Week 03-27-07




Spring is in the air here in my fair city. Or, at least it was, until about ten minutes ago when a storm front began to roll in – a winter storm front, no less. And here I sit in my capris and flip-flops just yearning for spring to stay. The spring-flowering trees are in full, fragrant bloom tainting the air with crisp, fresh sweetness. The daffodils, tulips and crocuses have pushed their heads up and are splashing the grounds with vibrant colors.

Yes, spring is everywhere.

I know this, especially, in the behavior of the birds in my atmosphere. They are really noisy. There is a family of birds that have moved into the eaves of my apartment, their nest is buried deep inside and I can hear tiny “cheep cheeps” from within. The adult bird frequently lands atop the wind-chimes I inherited from my grandmother, sending their giant pipes ringing melodically against one another. It is almost as if the bird delights in their sound. The other day I peeked through the blinds to see this bird singing and dancing – yes, it was dancing – atop the chimes, causing such a harmonious ruckus between its voice and the pipes that I was tempted to join in.

Today, as I sat in the drive-thru at the bank, I witnessed spring in its fullest expression – mating. Something happens in the spring wherein all of the animal kingdom goes into fits of procreating. Perhaps it is in celebration of the emergence of all things vibrant. Perhaps it is genetic coding – for human and animal alike. Perhaps it’s because the weather is warming and therefore the layers are shedding. I don’t know what it technically is, but it is undeniable.

And there, at the bank, were two sparrows in the throes of the chase. It wasn’t a very pretty sight and the one on top – I am assuming it was the male (sorry for the stereotypical judgment there) – was aggressively pecking at his partner and she was screeching in a tone that I could only judge as “absolutely not!” She kept turning her head back to squawk at him and jab in his general direction with her beak.

They were so focused in their struggle – tumbling in a tight ball, head over heels endlessly – that they were oblivious to the fact that their battle had put them in danger. They were inches away from the tires belonging to the man in the huge truck beside me who was oblivious that there was a battle of the sexes going on beneath his vehicle.

I saw the money container jet down the tube toward his waiting hands. I heard the struggle still going on beneath his vehicle and saw the bird-ball rolling ever nearer the soon-to-be moving tires. I watched them tussle their way toward the passenger side, just two inches from the tire. I saw the driver place the container back into the system and place his truck into gear. Four sets of mammoth tires inched forward – a huge truck, pulling a trailer.

I held my breath, covered my ears and squeezed my eyes shut.

Please let them get out of the way!

I did not dare to look once the truck pulled away, the driver unaware of the life drama playing out. I feared the single-minded focus of those two birds may have done them in for good. And, unfortunately, I cannot assuage your concerns either because I refused to look to make sure they were not squashed in a gooey mess there.

Those birds were so focused on their struggle to mate – or to not mate – that they saw nothing else. They were unaware of any impending peril, or the hazardous nature of the environment in which they were brawling. They were willing to give up their life in pursuit of instant gratification.

I wonder how often I have put my life at stake as I have narrowed my vision so precariously slim that I see nothing but that which is directly in front of me, when all I have in my sight is my goal and the completion of that goal. Granted, singular focus is beneficial, at times. However, singular focus wherein all other aspects, possibilities and ways of living are utterly excluded becomes dangerous. It narrows the scope of vision to only that which matches inside that constricted frame. Thus, there are opportunities and blessings which are missed and life becomes monochromatic.

I am appreciating that life is colorful, delicious and melodic. I am also appreciating that, in this moment, I am in ease and flow, instead of being stuck in a singularly-focused struggle.

©Angie K. Millgate 3/27/07

No comments:

Genius Community Nest