Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Meditation of the Week (10-31-06)

It’s Halloween!

This happens to be one of my most favorite days of the year. It thrills me to watch the creativity of humanity emerging in colorful, intriguing and sometimes dark ways. Because I am a people-watcher by nature, Halloween becomes a day of overindulgence for me. Everywhere I look there is something fantastical to entertain my eyes, my ears, my nose.

I love the idea that this holiday which we now celebrate with imaginative costumes, sugar-gluttony, and cackling witches began as an ancient Druid tradition. I love that thousands of years ago, steeped in superstitions, they believed that the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead became penetrable. Their attempt to confuse and confound the dead that they believed were walking amongst them on that night, resulted in bonfires, animal sacrifices and costumes.

Each year, as the holiday nears and the smell of fires, apple cider and pumpkins floats on the wind, I am tantalized. As the colors change in the mountains surrounding my homeland and the chill in the air turns crispy-clean, I begin to silently yearn for the appropriate time to don my own disguise. I try to fight it.

I say, “No, Angie, this is childish. Halloween is for children. You are an adult.”

Phewy on being an adult!

Even this morning, as I rolled out of bed, completely unprepared to be transformed into a ghoul or a witch, a gypsy or a fairy, I recognized the familiar twinges of anticipation. Although we no longer go Trick-or-Treating and although I work in an office of only one and a half people – me being the one, my assistant being part time – I still yearned for a costume.

What is it about masquerading that is so enticing?

I realized, as I stood in front of my mirror concocting my version of the living dead with only that which I had around the house, costumes give me a venue for exploring other aspects of myself. Some years, I have gone as a gypsy-witch and have felt more authentic in my skin than at any other time that year. This year, I am dark and appear lifeless. A stark contrast to the person I have become. I startle even myself when I catch a glimpse of my reflection.

Halloween brings out the youth in me. On a day that celebrates the Dark, I actually feel Light. I laugh. I watch. I Live.

Booooo-aaaah-ah-ah-aaaah!

Happy Halloween!

©Angie K. Millgate 10/31/06

No comments:

Genius Community Nest