Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Prayer

I was just thinking of my Grandma Faye. I have been doing that a lot lately, missing the smell of roses and the color pink, missing the gentle click-click-click of her heart. She died a few years ago and sometimes I just ache with the longing to feel her gentle hands on mine. Today is one of those days.

As I worked, I saw images of her in my mind's eye. I heard her laughter and her sense of humor that got a tad raunchy as she aged beyond her pristine, perfectness. I remembered how it would feel when she held me. I remembered the smell of her house in the morning... bacon... coffee... I remembered the feel of sugar cookie dough under my hands. I remembered the sound of her voice singing triumphantly along with the Tabernacle choir or Broadway soundtracks.

I was really missing her.

Then I stood up to cross the room, all misty-eyed with missing her. As I did, my internet radio started a new song... The Prayer sung by Josh Groban and Charlotte Church.

It was the song that Mom and I chose to play at a private viewing, as the family gathered around to say their fond farewells, before we closed the casket.

Perhaps Grandma is thinking of me too today.

No comments:

Genius Community Nest