Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I've Been A-Thinkin'

So, I am wondering... when one is completely oblivious to the goings-on in the political arena, is it acceptable for one to vote completely Democratic simply because one's father is voting Republican because that's what all good members of his religion do? Now, he says he is not going to do that, as does his wife, but in the last week all I have heard either of them report on was which Republican one which State. And, usually, it's quite jovial news when it is Romney that took the State. And she says she will "never vote for Hillary" because she doesn't like her husband and what he did when he was President. Now, hey. Isn't that sorta judging someone else for the sins of another? Doesn't The Church teach that that isn't what they do?

Sadly enough, I have lost faith in our government and the way that it does its business. I no longer believe that any politician is actually going to stand behind that which he/she claims he/she will be doing during his/her term. I believe that the way our government was originally set up to run is no longer a viable way to run a country. It seems that our President has just become a celebrity spokesperson who poses and looks "pretty" for the camera, without really being able to do anything of worth because Congress, the Senate and the Lobbyists have the person in that position by the balls and backed into the corner. And then, when it appears that the President may be doing his own thinking, it is only because he seems to have lost his damn mind and is paying no heed to the citizens anymore and is going haywire over the edge and taking the whole country with him.

So, with all that being said, I am wondering... how do I vote for something I don't believe in? And, how can I not vote and continue to watch this country be destroyed? How can I hope that my vote will mean anything? Especially if I am going to vote for an underdog because then "others" view that as splitting the votes away and weakening the election...

I am wondering if McCain feels like a minority in the Big Four of this race. I mean, he cannot say he's black or Mormon or a woman. He is just a plain, Good Ole Boy, white boy at that, apparently hailing from a non-controversial religion because I have no idea to which God he prays.

I am wondering if it would be bad of me to vote for Obama simply because he is black. Or for Clinton because she is a woman. As for Romney... I have played in that sandbox my entire life here in Utah and am not really interested in having The Church run the country - not saying that that would necessarily happen. I just don't want to chance it. So I wouldn't vote for his minority state of being. The other two, however, I am considering simply because I think this country could use with a sizeable dose of something other than the Good Ole Boy energy that has been all too pervasive for far too long.

I am wondering why I don't feel more about the passing of Gordon B Hinckley. I am wondering why I got pissed off because they kept interrupting the Hallmark movie I was engrossed with to tell me that he had died and then pay tribute as breaking news. Shit. I am wondering why people are gathering in lines to wait to view his dead body. I am wondering why people are sobbing heaps of humanity, grieving his death. I am wondering why the Kansas Baptist group feels the need to protest at his funeral. (K... so that is just dumb. They need to get a life.) I am wondering why I didn't cry or even want to post a remembrance when some of my never-been-Mormon friends have done so. I am wondering if I am now going to hell for sure.

Photos for the Candidate Collage above found at following sites:

http://www.johnmccain.com/
http://www.mittromney.com/
http://obama.senate.gov/
http://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Gordon B. Hinckley photo found at:
http://www.lds.org/ (and, ironically enough, the label of the photo was: GBH_hero)

2 comments:

Cele said...

Never give up your voice, even if all the above is not offered on the ballot. Do not change your vote because someone said you would be splitting votes. More people need to vote their mind.

I recently received a poll in the mail from the NRC, yep I'm a registered Republican, because my folks were/are registered Republicans. I'm sure they'll have fun and horrors reading my polling selections. I did respond with total glee.

Angie K. Millgate said...

Cele~

I like that you said that "More people need to vote their mind." When I read it the first time, my dyslexia kicked in and I read, "More people need to mind their vote." I think BOTH are appropos!

Genius Community Nest