Monday, August 06, 2007

OMD...Shattered


If you leave, don't leave now
Please don't take my heart away
Promise me
Just one more night
And then we'll go our separate ways...

It is 1986. I am young. I am small. He holds me in his arms and we dance the night away. I am elegant in daffodil yellow. He is dashing in his grey tux. Everything is new and vibrant like a technicolor dream on the brink of discovering. Love. A love that will walk with me through the ages.

I touch you once
I touch you twice
I need you now
Like I needed you then
You always said we'd meet again...
Some day...

And then... he is gone. I shatter to shards of myself and get lost in the tornado of my life. It was only yesterday and I find myself now on the porch of my life after gathering the bits and pieces of me, praying that it is all there, wondering... what if he had stayed?

I touch you once
I touch you twice
I won't let go at any price
I need you now
Like I needed you then
You always said we'd still be friends

Friends. Still. Even still. Yet, now as I look again, there is a part of me that has gone missing. It wavered and became lodged in that night so many years ago where I was elegant and graceful and loved. That night where I floated down velveteen stairs, adorning his arm and glowing in the depths of his gaze. Part of my heart is still there, standing in his embrace, warmed by the glimmer in his dusk-sky eyes.

I need you now
Like I needed you then
You always said we'd meet again...
Some day...
Oh...
If you leave...
Oh...
If you leave...

He left and I shattered. And now... there are little holes where his love used to be.

No comments:

Genius Community Nest