Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Confessions of the Fat Girl #9

Word of the day: CORPULENT

I did not even know this word existed. I assume I have heard it. I assume that people use it, perhaps even on a daily basis. I, however, was completely unaware of it. Until today, while I was helping my nine year old daughter practice her spelling/vocabulary list on the way to school.

“Corpulent…” I said, pausing. “Corpulent? What does that mean?”

I could hear the smile in her voice. I could almost hear her thoughts. “It means fat.”

“Aaahh!” I exclaimed. “Really?”

“Yes, Mom. Really.”

“Oh.” I shrugged and grinned from the driver’s seat. “Well then, today I am feeling corpulent.”

“Yeah…” she mumbled. “I thought you would say something like that.”

She knows me well and gets really disgusted when I announce that I am fat. She is quick to reassure me that I am not fat and that I am “just right.” God love her for it. Truly. However, I judge that “just right” is still way too fat.

It sucks that my journey through weight issues and into resolution shows up even in my daughter’s vocabulary lists.

BACK TO DIRECTORY

No comments:

Genius Community Nest